Total Defence Day
Objective(s) of Activity/Event
1. Learn about the six aspects of Total Defence.
2. Acquire basic knowledge on how they can play a part in
3. Learn the importance of working in unity to defend Singapore.
Date(s) of Activity/Event
15 February 2019
Venue of Activity/Event
Punggol Cove Primary School
For this year, apart from learning about the existing five pillars of Total Defence, students learnt about
the new sixth pillar of Total Defence, Digital Defence, as they watched the video message from the
Minister of Defence, Dr Ng Eng Hen. In addition, students learnt about the importance of working together
in unity, as a Singaporean citizen and resident, to defend Singapore.
· Primary One students focused on Civil Defence and learnt about the importance of preparing a Ready
Bag. They were also taught on how to pack for a Ready Bag in case of an emergency.
· Primary Two students focused on Military Defence which included the role of National Service,
evolving around the elements of “care” and “resilience”.
· Primary Three students learnt how they can contribute and strengthen Social Defence so
that Singaporeans and residents may live together harmoniously.
· Primary Four students discussed how Psychological Defence is crucial to the unity of Singapore.
Although our students may be young, they understood how they can help to keep Singapore strong
by playing their part for the country.
One of the school experiences that we impart to the students is the fire-drill exercise that was held on
14 February 2019. It demonstrated the importance of taking care of one another in times of crisis.
Students are aware of the importance of remaining calm and following instructions clearly. Evacuation to
the school parade square was done quickly and orderly, thanks to the teamwork of teachers and students!